Thursday 1 October 2015

DAY 26 - REMINDER - NO IMMUNE SYSTEM.

For what had promised to be a beautiful day mingling with my fellow patients and the like - today has been a (my first) downer.   not bad for 26 days in.

I bring you all back to MY (NON-EXISTENT) IMMUNE SYSTEM

I thought I had explained pretty well the rules and expectations for my return.

Virus and bacteria hang around all the time...and if YOU ARE immunised, you'll never know - but if they find me ...different story.  I'm open slather.

All of you have (I suspect) strong immune systems and/or have been vaccinated to protect you from all sorts of things.  BUT this doesn't mean that you can't be a carrier and thus, putting a little fledging like me, at risk.

I have friends and family who have been (or are currently) travelling to remote areas around Australia and 3rd world places in the holidays and, to be honest, this is SINGLE MOST THING THAT scares the bejesus out of me. 

Sure - also kids get sick and Piper will be around kids....and we all have pets - who are FOR THE MOST PART SAFE IN OUR YARDS as long as the yard is kept poop free (Andy) and they avoid contracting things from other social, (feral?) animals, dirt, kids.

SO A REMINDER.  IF YOU KNOW ME AND THINK YOU WANT TO SEE ME (AFTER THIS RANT THAT IS)! 

THIS ALL DEFINITELY APPLIES TO YOU

1)  FROM THE SECOND YOU READ THIS - ABSOLUTELY NO KISSING ANDY, PIPER (OR ME).   Sorry de Nys reunioners.   Little sneaky kisses aren't cute - they dangerous.

2)  I'M CALLING IT.  NO VISITORS FOR FIRST 2-3 WEEKS.  My Haematologist can then make the call from there.   This is possibly quite OCD but hey - I am not jeopardising this!  Of course, Andy and Piper will still be living at home...and maybe mum and dad fleetingly but that's it. 

3) No flowers. No dust/pollen etc allowed in house...whimper.  Chocolate and coffee and fine to drop off at the door though.

4) TO STREAMLINE THIS ONE - NO ANIMALS TO VISIT WHATSOEVER AND BASIL CANNOT GO TO PLAY AT OTHER DOG'S HOUSES (OR THE DOG PARK SORRY BAS)!

5) NO HELP NEEDED WITH THE HOUSE.  I'm sure in time, Mum and my sisters will lend a hand at times - but no chemicals can be used in house and I have a great cleaning system (Norwex).  Food is going to be a learning curb for us all.  Although I don't think we'd turn away a good lasagne, roast or casserole! (coming into summer - sheesh)!  Again, needs to be something I can microwave to kill off any bacteria.


ONCE I CAN HAVE VISITORS (HOPEFULLY SOONER RATHR THAN LATER) - I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

1) ABSOLUTELY STILL NO KISSING PIPER, ANDY OR ME. Little sneaky kisses aren't cute...they're dangerous.

2) If you have been round sick people or have a sniffle...PLEASE DO NOT VISIT.

3)  Been around sick kids or someone with man flu?  Yours or others - PLEASE DO NOT VISIT.

4) If you have been around communities that carry sickness (3rd world; hospitals; remote communities and the like), even if you feel fit as a Malley Bull, please visit another time - because YOUR immune system is strong while mine is in it's infancy.  You could be carrying something that is critical for me - but harmless to you.

5) USE HAND SANITISER ALL THE TIME ...as you enter, after the loo, using the iPad, etc!  Once I allow visitors I may even hook you up in a mask.

6) NO SHOES IN THE HOSUE ..for Andy's sake as much as mine!  We have a lot of floor space to keep clean!

7) STILL A BLANKLET RULE - "NO" TO ALL ANIMALS.

8) I can't eat fresh fruit or veg (salad) - can you believe it - and everything needs to be microwaved to kill the bacteria.

9)  Trust me!  I am NOT trying to keep you away but I am quite nervous ...NO - NOW I AM ABSOLUTELY BLOODY PETRIFIED about the 'no-immune' system especially in the early days. 


SO AGAIN - IF YOU KNOW ME  AT ALL - THESE RULES APPLY TO YOU.  
PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE AND RESPECT MY WISHES - EVEN IF YOU THINK THEY'RE OVER THE TOP.  MY LIFE - NOT YOURS.

I've heard of several patients that have ended up in critical condition on their return, just because they thought doing 1 little thing would be okay.   I can think of 2 that ended up in hospital for quite a prolonged time after only 1 week home.

I'm SOOOOO nervous about the flight (although I'm told business class is lush) - I'm nervous about eating on the plane - I'm nervous about animals and sick kids from school - I'm INSANELY nervous about lots of my friends and family who have been travelling in Central Australia, Bali, Thailand.

I just want to hug and kiss my family when I get home and I don't know how I'm not going to do that when I see Pipes, Andy, Mum and Dad....but we all know the rules....

Thank you in advance. 
Anyone that knows me, please feel free to ask me questions. 

SORRY FOR THE SOAP BOX.  I have spent the ENTIRE DAY in tears wondering why people aren't respecting my wishes and worrying about this.  My first tears in 26 days and this was supposed to be a joyous day of release for me.

Please don't jeopordise this for me and my family. 

As you may have seen, I was nervously picking just my cuticles and the nurses jumped on me and put antiseptic on straight away to avoid bacteria getting in and causing infection.  Things are real serious real quick....but just for a time I am sure.  See!  Even my pretty nails got hammered! :(  How RAW do they have to make me!

OCD MARY SIGNING OUT FOR ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT ME THINKS.







No comments:

Post a Comment