Wednesday 16 September 2015

DAY 11 - NEXT LINE IN....

Well - after a night without anything sticking out of my neck...a slept a little better.

My feet have swollen up to be as fat as my knees....I believe 'cankles' are all the rage in Russia at this time of year.  I'm pretty sure most of the others have experienced the same (thanks to the steroids).  I never experienced this in pregnancy and heck....it's neither attractive nor comfortable!  Not even hot pink nail polish is helping....what's a girl to do.

I enjoyed a night without the CVC (thanks Lynne!) but then today I have had the next line inserted into my neck...this one for the chemo.  It is a thinner line but to me....is hurting more.  I think the couple of stitches they popped in might be pulling.  Perhaps he saw my drooping skin and thought he'd help me out....bless.

I'm assured I won't even feel in a day or 2 but for now it's a tad annoying....but fine. No complaints.

Tomorrow heralds the start of  4 days of Chemo.  I don't really know how I feel about this.  Others have all had different experiences and on different days.  I have been assured that as soon as you say something is amiss (eg nauseous) they medicate you and you're fine.  I believe fatigue is the big, common 'complaint'. 

I feel like (so far) I am coping well.  Minimal tears, days filled with mindless 'jobs' for myself; afternoon chats.   I never really had any fear about coming here (after initially watching Kristy Cruise on 60 Minutes and then following a multitude of others complete the same, remarkable journey on a forum) I feel I researched pretty thoroughly...and I can confirm - if you are reading this and thinking about coming...CANNOT RECOMMEND HIGHLY ENOUGH. 
I'm here by myself and feel safe and supported (mind you, other carers, patients, FaceTime etc have been invaluable beyond words)!

Dr F has been here EVERYDAY since I arrived.  He explains every stop of every procedure in minute detail and ensures that I understand.  He has a true relationship with each of us.  He works with SUCH kindness and love.  He is exceptional.  We went through all the tests (again, in fine detail) and everything he does, he explains.  Anastasia is exactly the same.  And today Nicolai was the same again...step by step of what they are doing so nothing is a shock. 

I just adore the staff.  Dr F, Anastasia, Nicolai, Olga, Eirena, Valva (?), Sventlana....don't you love the names!!  They are all incredible and so invested in each and everyone of us.

Today see's another patient leave.  "Bill" our wonderful food provider will be taking his son home to America.  They (again) were absolutely delightful and another wonderful part of my own journey.  Best wishes guys...enjoy MS-free life!

Can you believe it...in about 1 weeks I will no longer have MS.  Pretty freaking awesome hey!  MIND BLOWN!!!!   * Insert happy dance here * !!!!   Thank you to everyone that got me here.  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!!


4 comments:

  1. Loving the blog! Inspirational! So glad that the team there is so wonderful. You're gonna crush the chemotherapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the blog! Inspirational! So glad that the team there is so wonderful. You're gonna crush the chemotherapy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Mary. You are so strong. What a process. No wonder your daughter is coping so well. With a mum like you ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Mary. You are so strong. What a process. No wonder your daughter is coping so well. With a mum like you ....

    ReplyDelete